How do I set/unset channel/user modes?
To set a channel mode, use the following command: -
/MODE #channel +modes
Where parameters are optional parameters, depending on the modes being set. User modes are essentially the same: /MODE nickname +modes. You must use your current nickname, NOT your Q authname. For the mIRC users out there, you may also use //MODE $me +modes. To unset a mode, simply use – instead of +.
Some modes can be set together. The command below will set +s, and +i at the same time: -
/MODE #channel +si
Also, modes can be set and unset together. The command below will remove +i, and then set +r: -
/MODE #channel -i+r
Some modes require parameters, these must also be given. The command below will set +s, and then set +b on the mask !@something.com: -
/MODE #channel +sb !@something.com
If you use several parameter modes at the same time, the parameters must be given in the same order as the modes. The example below will unset mode +b on !@something.com, then op (+o) User1, voice (+v) User2, then devoice (-v) User3
/MODE #channel -b+ov-v !@something.com User1 User2 User3
Using the above examples, you can create some very advanced MODE commands which do several mode changes at once.
A full list of user and channel modes, and how to use them are available in this FAQ.
Other help articles under General Help
- Can I join QuakeNet staff?
- Can I register my nickname?
- Can you give me flags on #channel?
- Contact information.
- How do I add/remove someone on a channel?
- How do I link a server to QuakeNet?
- How do I register my channel?
- How do I set/unset channel/user modes?
- I am banned from a channel for no reason, why?
- I'm G/K-lined, what can I do?
- I own a channel - what are my responsibilities?
- I've banned a user, but he keeps on rejoining. What to do?
- I've lost my password!
- I want a channel but there is already someone in it. What can I do?
- My channel is G-lined, what can I do?
- My #channel is suspended/G-lined!
- Nobody has ops in my channel, what can I do?
- People are flooding me, what can I do?
- People are join/part flooding my channel, help!
- Someone has taken my nick.
- Someone is abusive towards me, what should I do?
- Someone took over our channel!
- There is only Q/someone on a channel, can I have that channel?
- What are IRC Operators?
- What are the official channels?
- What channel modes are available on QuakeNet?
- What do those G-line reasons mean?
- What do those quit messages mean?
- What do those symbols before channels in a WHOIS mean?
- What is a g/k-line?
- What is a 'mask'?
- What services does QuakeNet have for its users?
- What user modes are available on QuakeNet?
- Why can't I remove channel mode +d?
- Why can't I see people joining my channel?
- Why do I get error 'bad username' when I try to connect to QuakeNet?
- Why do I receive "Cannot send to channel"?