I keep getting messages containing links to pornographic websites. How do I stop them?
These links are usually sent from clients or "bots" on a virus infected computer.
They join channels at random and send these messages to every user in the channel. An effective way of preventing this from happening is to set usermode +R which blocks unauthed users from sending you private messages. You can do this by doing /MODE nickname +R
Another alternative is to set channel mode +r. This prevents the bots from joining the channel, as they are unauthed, which stops them acquiring the channel's nickname list. It is then impossible for them to message individual users as they do not know the nicknames of the users.
Other help articles under Security
- Automatic authentication scripts
- Fake service messages.
- How can I hide my hostname on QuakeNet?
- How to choose a secure password?
- I have set user mode +x, how do I get my old hostname back?
- I keep getting messages containing links to pornographic websites. How do I stop them?
- Malicious scripts and code.
- Things not to do.
- What is an open proxy G-line for?
- Why do people try to crack Q accounts?