I want a channel but there is already someone in it. What can I do?
If the channel has Q, there is nothing you can do. The channel is considered owned as long as the bots stay there, and you will have to wait for the bot to leave on it's own. Q will leave after at least 40 days of inactivity. There is no way to look up how long it has been inactive, and staff/opers will not tell you.
If the channel does not have Q, but has an opped user the channel is considered to be his, and you will not get any help to retrieve the channel. Even if this person is an idle bnc / bot, it is still considered owned by him, and untill he leaves or gives you op there is nothing to be done.
If the channel does not have Q, but has a user that is not opped you can attempt /msg R requestop #channel to gain ops in the channel. Do not take it for granted that you will get it, R checks several factors before deciding to give op or not. If R tells you that you can not get op in that channel, IRC operators will not help you gain ops there either.
Other help articles under General Help
- Can I join QuakeNet staff?
- Can I register my nickname?
- Can you give me flags on #channel?
- Contact information.
- How do I add/remove someone on a channel?
- How do I link a server to QuakeNet?
- How do I register my channel?
- How do I set/unset channel/user modes?
- I am banned from a channel for no reason, why?
- I'm G/K-lined, what can I do?
- I own a channel - what are my responsibilities?
- I've banned a user, but he keeps on rejoining. What to do?
- I've lost my password!
- I want a channel but there is already someone in it. What can I do?
- My channel is G-lined, what can I do?
- My #channel is suspended/G-lined!
- Nobody has ops in my channel, what can I do?
- People are flooding me, what can I do?
- People are join/part flooding my channel, help!
- Someone has taken my nick.
- Someone is abusive towards me, what should I do?
- Someone took over our channel!
- There is only Q/someone on a channel, can I have that channel?
- What are IRC Operators?
- What are the official channels?
- What channel modes are available on QuakeNet?
- What do those G-line reasons mean?
- What do those quit messages mean?
- What do those symbols before channels in a WHOIS mean?
- What is a g/k-line?
- What is a 'mask'?
- What services does QuakeNet have for its users?
- What user modes are available on QuakeNet?
- Why can't I remove channel mode +d?
- Why can't I see people joining my channel?
- Why do I get error 'bad username' when I try to connect to QuakeNet?
- Why do I receive "Cannot send to channel"?