I own a channel - what are my responsibilities?
By owning a channel, we mean that you have a +n flag in Q in that channel. If you don't have Q in your channel, you don't really 'own' it as every channel op has equal rights in there. Thus any op could just deop you and then it wouldn't be 'your' channel anymore.
If you do have +n on Q, you own the channel with the rest of the people who have +n in there. Here are some things you need to take care of when you own a channel:
- Give out flags to people you trust. The owner flag (+n) is not to be given to anyone who you don't trust 100%. Master flag (+m) should be given to people who are supposed to take care of the channel's functionality by adding +o users. An ideal new channel's management routine is:
- Owner possibly adds another trusted owner
Owner adds a few masters
Masters add ops and set up channel settings (owner can do this aswell)
Ops take care of the channel by kicking&banning users, setting the topic, etc.
Supervise the channel's flagged users. If someone with flags starts acting up, remove his flags and make sure nobody gives them back to him.
Think of ways to control flood/spam/advertisements. If your channel is big enough, you can request S, which should take care of those. As S isn't very configurable, you may need something else to take care of the problem. Also remember that you shouldn't use S as the only flood prevention mechanism on the channel, as it may be offline, and won't be on both sides of a netsplit.
In general, make sure your channel isn't breaking any QuakeNet rules.
Other help articles under General Help
- Can I join QuakeNet staff?
- Can I register my nickname?
- Can you give me flags on #channel?
- Contact information.
- Do you support IPv6?
- How do I add/remove someone on a channel?
- How do I link a server to QuakeNet?
- How do I register my channel?
- How do I set/unset channel/user modes?
- I am banned from a channel for no reason, why?
- I'm G/K-lined, what can I do?
- I own a channel - what are my responsibilities?
- I've banned a user, but he keeps on rejoining. What to do?
- I've lost my password!
- I want a channel but there is already someone in it. What can I do?
- My channel is G-lined, what can I do?
- My #channel is suspended/G-lined!
- Nobody has ops in my channel, what can I do?
- People are flooding me, what can I do?
- People are join/part flooding my channel, help!
- Someone has taken my nick.
- Someone is abusive towards me, what should I do?
- Someone took over our channel!
- There is only Q/someone on a channel, can I have that channel?
- What are IRC Operators?
- What are the official channels?
- What channel modes are available on QuakeNet?
- What do those G-line reasons mean?
- What do those quit messages mean?
- What do those symbols before channels in a WHOIS mean?
- What is a g/k-line?
- What is a 'mask'?
- What is a QuakeNet account?
- What is IRC? What is an IRC Network?
- What services does QuakeNet have for its users?
- What user modes are available on QuakeNet?
- Why can't I remove channel mode +d?
- Why can't I see people joining my channel?
- Why do I get error 'bad username' when I try to connect to QuakeNet?
- Why do I receive "Cannot send to channel"?
- Why should I use QuakeNet?