Someone took over our channel!
There are two requirements for you to be able to recover the channel:
Have Q on the channel.
Have owner/master flag. Please note that if the ones taking the channel over have the only owner flag, your master flag isn't worth much.
If you don't fulfill the first requirement, then there isn't much hope in recovering it. If you know you haven't been giving everyone ops or something similarily stupid, you can try asking about it in #help.
If you fulfill both of the requirements, you can use Q's recover command. To use this, you must first be authed. After that type this:
/msg Q recover #channel
This will deop everyone on the channel and remove all bans and modes (+key, +limit, +invite) from the channel. After that, remember to remove flags from unwanted people and everything should be just fine.
If, for some reason, the ones taking over the channel got possession of the +n flag, you need to come to #help. There the staff will evaluate your situation and possibly give you a #feds ticket, where you can recover the channel with the help of ircops. If the staff refuse to give you a #feds ticket for some reason, then consider the channel lost.
Please note that even if you received a ticket to #feds, you need to find out what caused the takeover. If #feds staff recovers the channel for you without you knowing what really caused the takeover, you'll probably just lose the channel again to the same people, the same way. Take a look at our Security FAQ for the ways a channel can be taken over.
Other help articles under General Help
- Can I join QuakeNet staff?
- Can I register my nickname?
- Can you give me flags on #channel?
- Contact information.
- Do you support IPv6?
- How do I add/remove someone on a channel?
- How do I link a server to QuakeNet?
- How do I register my channel?
- How do I set/unset channel/user modes?
- I am banned from a channel for no reason, why?
- I'm G/K-lined, what can I do?
- I own a channel - what are my responsibilities?
- I've banned a user, but he keeps on rejoining. What to do?
- I've lost my password!
- I want a channel but there is already someone in it. What can I do?
- My channel is G-lined, what can I do?
- My #channel is suspended/G-lined!
- Nobody has ops in my channel, what can I do?
- People are flooding me, what can I do?
- People are join/part flooding my channel, help!
- Someone has taken my nick.
- Someone is abusive towards me, what should I do?
- Someone took over our channel!
- There is only Q/someone on a channel, can I have that channel?
- What are IRC Operators?
- What are the official channels?
- What channel modes are available on QuakeNet?
- What do those G-line reasons mean?
- What do those quit messages mean?
- What do those symbols before channels in a WHOIS mean?
- What is a g/k-line?
- What is a 'mask'?
- What is a QuakeNet account?
- What is IRC? What is an IRC Network?
- What services does QuakeNet have for its users?
- What user modes are available on QuakeNet?
- Why can't I remove channel mode +d?
- Why can't I see people joining my channel?
- Why do I get error 'bad username' when I try to connect to QuakeNet?
- Why do I receive "Cannot send to channel"?
- Why should I use QuakeNet?